15 Tips For A Successful Digital Detox

‘Digital detox refers to a period of time during which a person refrains from using electronic connecting devices such as smartphones and computers. It is regarded as an opportunity to reduce stress or focus on social interaction in the physical world.’

There comes a point when you reach your limit. Your cup is full. You can no longer take on any more. Your brain cannot process. You aren’t functioning in your most positive nor efficient capacity. You are at the end of your tether.

It is at that point when you can no longer go on. When something has to give. Something has to change.

To continue at full throttle would result in complete and utter burnout.

I reached this point recently.

Following a pretty full on full months where life was throwing all sorts at my from all areas of my life, business and personal, my mind was just about ready for shut down.

My brain just could not physically take on any more information. I was forgetting things. I was starting and not finishing things. I was present but not thinking.

My heart was starting to hurt. I was becoming more sensitive than usual (and I’m a pretty sensitive soul). I didn’t have the capacity to deal with douche-y encounters (which, let’s face are a pretty daily occurrence in regular life).

And let’s not even start on the physical deterioration. I’ve gained weight. I feel sluggish. My skin and hair look crap.

See, burn out affects every part of our lives and selves.

We are just not built for such high levels of sustained stress. As living, feeling beings we need rest, leisure, changes of activities and environment. Quite simply, we just need a break.

I reached a tipping point. A moment where I thought to myself “I just don’t want this anymore”.

Tether end was reached.

I went on a digital detox and took a few days off work to head to the seaside and just switch off.

The result was fantastic. I was full in the moment. Sure, at first it felt a little alien not to be waking up and start scrolling through my social feeds on my phone. And yes, it felt weird not to let twitter know what I was up to. But after a day or so I was revelling in not having my phone attached to me. I was marvelling in the moments. It was a bloody revelation!

15 Tips For A Successful Digital Detox

How to Have a Successful Digital Detox

1. Activate your out-of-office on your emails to let people know you won’t be responding.

2. Deactivate your Facebook. They don’t really let you delete the account so it just deactivates and removes the temptation to check your feed.

3. Delete the social media apps from your smartphone. No more notifications or endless scrolling at bedtime.

4. Leave your smartphone on vibrate only. Or even leave it another room at night.

5. Disable push notifications.

6. Set a minimum length of time for your digital detox.

7. Find a new environment to be in for at least 24 hours. (Time for an outing!)

8. Write, read, play, make, sing – do something that doesn’t involve digital technology.

9. Let people know beforehand if you think it might let anyone down.

10. Enlist a friend or partner to do the digital detox with you.

11. Wear a watch (if you’re one of those that uses a phone to keep time).

12. Spend time with people in real life for your social fix.

13. Take photos on a camera instead of your smartphone.

14. Play board games (we had a two-nighter Trivial Pursuit sesh. It was epic).

15. Daydream. Allow your mind to wander uninterrupted.

Enjoy!

Have you ever had a digital detox?

What tips do you have for a successful time away from social media?

1. 3 April 2016 / 9:33 am

I am glad you took the time you needed and that you are okay. But we are all as equally glad you’ve made it back.
    Great tips for the detox!

2. 4 April 2016 / 9:00 pm

I am so glad your time away did you good – I really need to think about doing a digital detox myself. x

3. 4 April 2016 / 9:13 pm

I really like having digital detoxes when I go away but I don’t get them enough at home because I use the internet and social media for work so much x

4. 4 April 2016 / 10:35 pm

These are really good ideas. I wouldn’t mind taking some time away from online things this weekend.

5. 4 April 2016 / 10:38 pm

Great tips, I’m so glad you had that time away and feel better! Like you I will read a book and spend time with my family! 🙂

6. 5 April 2016 / 12:23 am

I so need to do this but it’s really not as easy as one would think.

7. 5 April 2016 / 8:26 am

I think it’s important to disconnect every now and again. It’s a funny new digital world we live in. We need to keep touch with reality on occasion!

8. 5 April 2016 / 8:31 am

There are some really fab tips here, Elizabeth – I think I’m going to schedule a digital detox for at least part of my summer holiday this year. I worked straight through my 10 days in Portugal last year and didn’t really feel like I got a proper break.

9. 5 April 2016 / 9:32 am

I am kind of at the point now, I am exhausted and barely functioning and I feel like I am slipping behind and not being able to sustain my normal pace. I am glad you enjoyed your digital detox.

10. 5 April 2016 / 10:29 am

I am glad that your time away helped.
    I regularly take digital detoxes and I always come back so much more energised.

11. Cassandra
    5 April 2016 / 1:22 pm

I don’t think i could do it, its really bad how addicted to it we are.
    But i do enjoy the times where i go out for a meal or a drink and then don’t look at my phone once.

12. 5 April 2016 / 1:52 pm

Great read and just what I needed now. 🙂 I’ve been trying to get myself to take more and more breaks from social media and blogs and stuff online and actually do something more useful, cause I think I’m addicted to the internet!!! So the last couple of months I’ve been doing a lot more crafts that I enjoy, I’ve been redecorating our living room with my husband and I’ve been making my own clothes. I’m going to continue doing this and I think that the more I do my crafts and other fun things and see the result of it, the easier it will be to log off!! 🙂

Mookieslife

13. 5 April 2016 / 3:35 pm

I definitely need a digital detox soon! I’ve been slowly removing digital stresses/distractions from my life so that I am only using my phone or PC when I have to work but a detox is something I definitely need, just for a few days at least

14. 5 April 2016 / 7:44 pm

I often think about doing something similar myself but i do worry about ‘missing out’ if I try. There are some great tips here and I’ll definitely be referring back to this post when I finally work up the nerve to take the plunge 🙂 x

15. 5 April 2016 / 8:03 pm

ive done pretty well this past year removing myself from the likes of social media as much as i used to lol its harder thn you think

16. 5 April 2016 / 9:36 pm

This sounds so good – but I just couldn’t tear myself away even for a day. I am actually away with my kids now, and am working 8-9am and 7-10pm to keep everything ticking over! Well done to you though. Kaz x

17. 6 April 2016 / 8:06 am

Great tips! It’s so easy to get carried away using technology all the time!

18. 6 April 2016 / 10:02 am

I really need to do this but I’m not sure I could to be honest! I’m very impressed that you managed to do it for a few days. Maybe I’ll try doing it for one day and see how it goes!