I moved my blog from Blogger to WordPress two years ago and I haven’t looked back since. I am a big fan of WordPress and today I want to tell you why.
When I first made the move I blogged about my lessons learned on Moving from Blogger to WordPress. This post continues to be a well visited post although there are a few changes I might make to that now, such as my recommended host! I have also blogged about some of my favourite WordPress Plugins, and that also changes over time too. That’s tech for you, eh?!
But my reasons for moving to a self-hosted WordPress blog from Bloggers still remain the same.
Why WordPress (self-hosted) is better than Blogger
- On WordPress I have FULL control over my blog, I own the domain and the hosting – my blog is mine and I own it. With Blogger, Google owns your blog this means they can delete your blog if and when they want. I know this has happened to a few bloggers in the past. They have lost years of blog posts because Blogger decided to delete the blog. How awful would that feel?!
- Akismet – this brilliant spam plugin removes most of the terrible spam out there. I know Blogger is prone to a large amount of spam comments.
- There is no need to for word captcha on WordPress (hoorah!), Akismet catches most spam and you can use a great plugin called G.A.S.P. which installs a small checkbox under the comment box for commenters to prove they’re not a spam-bot. This much more user-friendly than captcha.
- The plugins! There are literally hundreds of awesome plugins designed to help your blog function exactly how you want. It makes for a really user-friendly site for both the Blogger and Readers.
- And did I mention your don’t own your blog if it’s on Blogger?!
- WordPress themes are beautiful and customisable.
- WordPress looks more professional.
- Blogger can be a bit buggy. I experienced times when posts wouldn’t publish. Posts would disappear. Or I just couldn’t get onto the blog. I found it a very awkward platform.
Yes, a self-hosted WordPress blog might cost a few pennies for the domain name and hosting (maybe £5 a month), but to own your blog? I think it’s totally worth it.
In fairness, Blogger does have some perks. Firstly, you can set up a new blog in a matter of minutes. So it’s very user-friendly in that aspect. It is also a Google product so blog posts will be ranked quickly in search engine results, although I’ve heard that unless you post regularly you can lose ranking just as quickly too. And of course, it’s free which is a pretty favourable price. Or non-price should that be?
I now use Krystal Hosting. They are a UK host with a focus on customer service. I suffered quite a bit with downtime on Dreamhost and they’re service really went downhill so I do not recommend them anymore. Krystal have been brilliant in helping me out, even when I’m being a total newbie.
I buy my domains through 123-reg. They have been fine so far and they’re documentation on setting up domains has been really useful.
NOTE: try to keep your domains and hosting separate. That is, buy them from different companies.
So that’s my thoughts on WordPress being a much more favourable platform than Blogger. What do you think? Would you consider moving to WordPress from Blogger? Or are you already in the WordPress brigade?