I found some potatoes languishing at the back of my cupboard and some peppers sitting lonely in the fridge yesterday. The spring onions were starting to wilt and my bowl of onion is overflowing. I racked my brains for a minutes and decided on a Spanish Tortilla to use up all my sad looking vegetables. This really is a simple recipe that you can adjust to your fancy. As long as there are eggs and potatoes involved! I used onion, garlic, pepper and potatoes and loads of eggs. I love Spanish food, the flavours really pop, in my opinion!
Spanish Tortilla makes an excellent picnic or lunch item so get one whipped up today. They taste best cold in my opinion but last night I ate a warm slice with a large dollop of garlic mayonnaise. It was delicious.
- 8 large eggs
- 3 baking potatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- splash of milk
- large pinch of coarse sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Par-boil the potatoes in boiling water for 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slowly fry the onions with a pinch of salt until golden. Add the garlic and stir for 2 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and allow to cool in the pan while the onions etc. cook.
- Chuck the pepper in the frying pan and stir well. Once the pepper starts catching on the skin add the potato.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk well. Splash in a bit of milk and mix well. Add a good amount of freshly ground black pepper and the spring onion.
- Pour the egg over the potato mixture. Keep the heat medium-low. Once the egg has set on the bottom and started to harden around the edges it is ready for the grill.
- Place the frying pan under a hot grill. Keep an eye on the tortilla and it will be ready when the top is golden brown.
- Serve with your favourite sauce, I recommend garlic mayo, and maybe a fresh salad.
What is your favourite picnic food?