Interior Inspiration: The Hallway

The hallway is the entrance to the house and as such I would like mine to be welcoming and inviting. However, the hallway in my new house leaves a lot to be desired. The carpet is worn and dank. The walls are scuffed, dented and grubby. There is a weird paper border running the length of the wall. And there is an unsual and random frosted window in one wall that looks into the lounge (I think it used to be a door). As you can imagine, the hallway needs some work.

Inspiration for a Pretty Hallway

colourful stairs

pretty lights

hallway detailsI definitely want some bright colour pops. I love the disco stairs but I doubt they will be practical or affordable. But we could manage some lights that run the length of the hallway. All the hallways I like on my Pinterest board are white – I think bright white will expand the space. Plus some cute details like the chevron ceiling (I know, I’m chevron mad at the moment) and multi hook wall help liven up the space.

So what do you think?

Do you have any advice or tips for making my hallway a bright and welcoming space?

(Image credits: Stairs – Unknown, Apartment Therapy, The Decorologist. Lights – Junkaholique, Marie Claire Italy via Desire to Inspire. Details – Design Sponge, Apartment Therapy.)

• Emma

I love all those ideas! Might nab the hooks idea for my own neglected hall. I’ve also seen quite a few photos of decorated stairs, especially the actual step bit. Love this idea: http://pinterest.com/pin/261208847106970815/

Maybe look at a mirror too, to make the space look bigger?

• Elizabeth

I love the stairs idea, thanks!

And absolutely on the mirror. I think I need some light bouncing around.
      x

• Siobhan

I really like these ideas! This is the second hallway post I have read this week! Maybe you and Vixie should compare notes.

• Dancing Branflake

I’ve never even thought about my entryway but now I’m realizing I need to zhush it up. Love these ideas!

• Hazel Paterson

Now that I have FINALLY furnished my bedroom (last room in the house to get some attention) it is also my staircase’s turn next!I have sadly been banned from any more fairy lights in the cottage!

• Kat got the cream

I love the yellow patterned stairs. We also want to get some hooks so we can make a feature like the one pictured, so the mister can show of his collection of hats.

• Edith

Hello! I realize this is somewhat off-topic but I needed to ask. Does building a well-established blog such as yours require a massive amount work? I am completely new to blogging however I do write in my diary daily. I’d like to start a blog so I can easily share my own experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!

• Elizabeth

Hi Edith,
      I must admit I do put a lot of time and effort into my blog. It takes time to get established and find your voice but I genuinely enjoy every minute of it so I don’t mind the time I spend on it.
      My tip is to blog about what makes you happy, talk to other bloggers, and have nice clean blog design that allows your reader to easily read your blog.
      Good luck!

• Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping]

I love all these, which is a major problem I have with interior design – I need several houses! Disco stairs are especially awesome. I found that ripping out the carpet and replacing with laminate flooring made a massive difference in our hall, it lightened it up loads and it’s so much cleaner looking now (we had a buggy coming in and out at the time).

• Lisa-Marie

Paint it all white, pull up the carpet if the floorboards are half decent, string up fairylights, and a ‘dumping’ point (a sideboard or small table with a mirror, a basket for post, and a few pretty things), and add lots of your lovely things.

Use all things you love, and bright pops of colour, and you won’t go wrong.

• Elizabeth

trying to find a narrow table at the moment, I really want something there or else it ends up in the living room and we lose keys!x

• Adhriene

I have never seen such colorful stairs before and I think this is really a good idea…Hmmm…I think my kids will love this…

• Zoë {Conversation Pieces}

Go for lights, colour and chevrons I say! 🙂 Seriously though, our hallway is the one space in my home that really drives me nuts… it needs to be super practical but be a cheerful welcoming statement when you’re coming home – and I’ve never got that balance right. We always just end up with stuff piled on other stuff!

• Maxi

Looking at these photos makes me sooooo jealous. I hate our hallway even more now!! I saw a nice pic the other day where each stair was painted in one of three co-ordinating colours e.g pink, grey, yellow. I now have Hallway Envy!

• Elizabeth

I think colour is definitely the way forward!

• Vixie

I love those disco stairs! They’re on one of my Pinterest boards too. Perhaps I’ll cover my skirting boards with sequins since I don’t have any stairs in my flat!

• Elizabeth

sequin skirtings! genius idea.

• Sarah McLoughlin

Wallpaper is your friend, look out for discounted rolls or check out charity shops then paste straight onto steps edges, you could add varnish to make it extra hard-wearing. You could be quirky and mix and match.