How To Make Toffee Vodka

How to Make Toffee Vodka

After my first foray into DIY vodka (Blackberry vodka), I have been itching to experiment with other types of vodka. So after a little research I came up with this simple recipe for making your own DIY Toffee Vodka.

1. You will need a bottle of vodka (the cheap stuff is fine, but on my second try I chose Smirnoff and that was tastier), a packet of Werther’s Original (approx. 135g) and a sterilised Mason Jar.

Toffee Vodka Ingredients

2. Simply mix the bottle vodka with a packet of Werther’s Original sweets in a mason jar.

Toffees for Toffee Vodka

3. Shake every few hours over 2 days until the toffee has dissolved.

Toffee in the Vodka

4. And voila! Toffee Vodka.

Homemade Toffee Vodka

I reckon that the majority of my Christmas gifts this year to others will be homemade booze, I hope they like it! What do you think? Maybe decorate a little bottle with ribbon and give to a loved one at Christmas?

Do you have any other boozy recipes to recommend for other Christmas gifts?

If you like this recipe check out my recipe index for more tasty stuff

1. 10 October 2011 / 11:53 am

oh my goodness, this sounds amazing!! I might have to do this one!

2. 10 October 2011 / 11:53 am

also, it sounds like a perfect present to me 🙂

• Elizabeth
      10 October 2011 / 7:02 pm

is that a hint? 😉

3. George
    10 October 2011 / 11:55 am

What an amazing idea! I love homemade christmas gifts.. I usually make a lot of christmas jams and chutneys! Will have to give this one a go!
    George | frecklie.blogspot.com

4. 10 October 2011 / 12:11 pm

ooooh, this looks lovely.
    Everyone is getting homemade gifts from me this year – one of them is Limoncello. which is just lemon rinds soaked in Vodka for an age and then mixed with a simple syrup. I have had mine going since july & its super lemony & yellow, but if you start now you’ll defo have time.

• Elizabeth
      10 October 2011 / 7:01 pm

I love the Limoncello idea. That is definitely on my homemade booze list. .

5. 10 October 2011 / 1:21 pm

I need to try this! It looks delicious, thanks for posting it! x

6. 10 October 2011 / 3:14 pm

I want to try this – what would you mix it with?

• Elizabeth
      10 October 2011 / 7:00 pm

I am a vodka and lemonade girl, through and through. It is quite a sweet combination so you might only want one at a time. It’s almost like those american cream sodas.
      Next I might experiment with ginger beer and a squeeze of lime – the spice and sour might off-set the sweetness more.
      x

7. 10 October 2011 / 3:18 pm

I don’t drink alcohol but I find this completely amazing that the candy just dissolves. Crazy!

8. 10 October 2011 / 5:12 pm

Wow, that’s so simple! I’m going to try making some of this for the weekend 🙂

9. 10 October 2011 / 6:51 pm

Siobhan asks a good question – what do you mix it with?

• Elizabeth
      10 October 2011 / 7:01 pm

It’s nice a single shot on it’s own. But I nearly always mix my vodka with lemonade, it’s super-sweet but yummy.
      x

10. 10 October 2011 / 7:49 pm

Or apple juice. Making some sort of toffee apple martini concoction.

• Elizabeth
      10 October 2011 / 7:52 pm

That would be a perfect Halloween cocktail – a toffee apple martini!

11. Rochelle
    11 October 2011 / 8:51 am

Oh my word. This looks/sounds AMAZING. I need to make this. How long does it take to dissolve? I’d love this for christmas. 🙂

• Elizabeth
      11 October 2011 / 9:28 am

It was fully dissolved after 2 days. I just keep giving it a shake to get the sugar mixed in well.

• Rochelle
        12 October 2011 / 1:50 pm

Thanks for the tip 😉 Enjoy your day. 🙂

12. 11 October 2011 / 4:40 pm

oh wow, this is amazing! i’ve never seen anything like this before, i’ll definitely be trying it out. thanks for sharing! xx

13. 11 October 2011 / 11:52 pm

I did this the other year as well as Christmas Pudding Vodka. Well lets just say that when the bottles were opened there was not much left by the end of the evening.

14. Jessie
    12 October 2011 / 11:52 am

I love this idea! Definitely gonna make some DIY Vodka!!
    Never even thought of it before and the shop bought ones are too artificial tasting.xx

15. Kilm
    22 October 2011 / 1:04 pm

How long does it keep for, I’d love to make some for Christmas pressies but not sure I’ll have the time a few days before the 25th Dec?

• Elizabeth
      25 October 2011 / 3:17 pm

I should think it keeps for a while. You just need to give it a shake as there may be some settled toffee. I’ve had mine for 2 weeks and it still tastes the same.

16. Mark
    1 August 2012 / 3:38 pm

Foxes Glacier Mints mixed in the same way as he Werther’s then chilled makes a really refreshing after dinner tipple. Or even before or instead of dinner!!

• Elizabeth
      1 August 2012 / 3:47 pm

thanks, that’s an excellent idea!

17. Edward
    4 August 2012 / 4:50 pm

i made it but mine has a scummy/foamy layer on top, does this make any difference to the taste as i quite simply cannot be bothered to filter it 😛

• Elizabeth
      5 August 2012 / 1:58 pm

I had the foamy layer too. It’s entirely up to you. I just used to shake the bottle before serving and it was fine.

• Edward
        5 August 2012 / 2:08 pm

thank you! 😀 do you have any idea how long it lasts before it starts losing taste and colour etc, im kinda new to all this 😛

• Sue
        19 October 2015 / 4:37 pm

Oh thank you, I was looking for this answer as our is like that too. We weren’t sure if it was because we used low fat sweets!

18. Louise
    8 August 2012 / 11:36 am

My cousin made this it is amazing!

19. Wendy
    2 November 2012 / 12:15 am

To those wondering what to serve it with – try hot chocolate on a wintery day!! Trust me – it’s amazing & just perfect for after a day spent sledging & snowball fighting!!!

• Kay
      2 April 2016 / 6:43 pm

We had toffee vodka in Tenerife served ice cold in a shot glass after our meal – amazing. I am going to try this as can’t buy anything similar here.

20. Olivia
    13 March 2013 / 1:55 pm

Made this yesterday – I was worried about I being done by Friday so smashed up the sweets, and it was fully dissolved within about 18 hours! Thanks for the recipe 🙂

• Kaz
      24 December 2015 / 11:27 pm

If you put it in the dishwasher it melts quicker. I made some tonight to give as presents tomorrow !

21. Pingback: Vintage Tips, Tutorials and Links Round-Up | Penny Dreadful Vintage
  22. Annabel
    28 March 2014 / 3:41 pm

I’ve made this, but when I’ve left it in the fridge it has separated. Just wondering whether anyone know what’s to do? I.e do I need to strain it?

• 28 March 2014 / 7:42 pm

Yep, that does happen. I just give it a good shake before serving.

23. 22 August 2014 / 10:07 am

Hi! Loving the look of this. How many sweets in the bag? We only have the small tube-like packets here in Greece. Number of sweets or weight of bag would help! Thanks!

24. Simon
    7 September 2014 / 3:03 pm

After it has been made, put it in the freezer for 24hrs then drink straight from the freezer!

25. Harold Bowden
    4 October 2014 / 11:27 pm

What size bag of Werthers?

26. Graeme Kitching
    24 October 2014 / 10:12 pm

Add toffee vodka to champagne or prosecco, it’s a gorgeous combination.

27. Aly
    30 December 2014 / 3:21 am

I bet this would be fabulous in a White Russian!

28. Nicola
    15 November 2015 / 8:16 pm

How far in advance can I make it? Will it ‘go off’?

• Kaz
      24 December 2015 / 11:24 pm

If you make sure the bottles are clean then store it in the freezer it should last quite a while . Some say only a week but I’ve kept it longer. Give it a good shake b4 serving as it can separate a bit.

29. Emily
    5 December 2015 / 10:38 am

Hey,

If your using an 8oz jar should you still use a whole bag of sweets?

Thanks

Emily

• Kaz
      24 December 2015 / 11:22 pm

The more sweets you use the stronger the flavour . I use a lot more than others recommend because it makes it thicker and tastes so moreish .

30. Kaz
    24 December 2015 / 11:09 pm

Hi I make my toffee vodka in the dishwasher. Make sure the bottle lid is on tight (you could use cling film around it to be safe.) It gets to just the right temperature to melt the werther’s so no need to spend days agitating and waiting for them to melt. I have just made a batch for Xmas presents for tomorrow and to save time I used my nutri bullet to pulverize the sweets in the vodka first then poured it back into the vodka bottle and then into the dishwasher. I also got a bit of scrum on top but not worried as all tastes great. It’s really best stored in the freezer and served ice cold in a shot glass or over ice, again a shot size. I use 2-3 bags of werther’s to a medium bottle of vodka because it makes it thicker and really taste yummy. You can use other things like skittles or even after eight mints or any boiled sweets ie rhubarb and custard or aniseed . Some come out a yukky colour but they still taste REALLY nice.

31. Rebecca
    12 October 2016 / 12:47 pm

Hi are these quantities for 1litre of vodka?

32. Paul Andrews
    20 December 2016 / 4:52 pm

I smashed the toffees with a hammer. The Vodka was totally infused in 6 hrs and tasted great. Just needs a little freezer time for perfection.

33. Anne Mann
    1 November 2017 / 6:37 pm

I mix my toffee vodka with apple juice and elderflower sparkling water, toffee apple cocktails, fab xx