How To Make Toffee Vodka

Toffees for Toffee Vodka

How to Make Toffee Vodka

After my first foray into DIY vodka (Blackberry vodka), I have been itching to experiment with other types of vodka. So after a little research I came up with this simple recipe for making your own DIY Toffee Vodka.

1. You will need a bottle of vodka (the cheap stuff is fine, but on my second try I chose Smirnoff and that was tastier), a packet of Werther’s Original (approx. 135g) and a sterilised Mason Jar.

Toffee Vodka Ingredients

2. Simply mix the bottle vodka with a packet of Werther’s Original sweets in a mason jar.

Toffees for Toffee Vodka

3. Shake every few hours over 2 days until the toffee has dissolved.

Toffee in the Vodka

4. And voila! Toffee Vodka.

Homemade Toffee Vodka

I reckon that the majority of my Christmas gifts this year to others will be homemade booze, I hope they like it! What do you think? Maybe decorate a little bottle with ribbon and give to a loved one at Christmas?

Do you have any other boozy recipes to recommend for other Christmas gifts?

If you like this recipe check out my recipe index for more tasty stuff

Get the 'Word of the Year' Worksheet

Word_of_the_year

Get the FREE downloadable worksheet 'How To Choose A Word of the Year', designed to help you focus on the values that matter most in your life.

Powered by ConvertKit
  • Rhianne

oh my goodness, this sounds amazing!! I might have to do this one!

• Rhianne

also, it sounds like a perfect present to me 🙂

• Elizabeth

is that a hint? 😉

• George

What an amazing idea! I love homemade christmas gifts.. I usually make a lot of christmas jams and chutneys! Will have to give this one a go!
    George | frecklie.blogspot.com

• em

ooooh, this looks lovely.
    Everyone is getting homemade gifts from me this year – one of them is Limoncello. which is just lemon rinds soaked in Vodka for an age and then mixed with a simple syrup. I have had mine going since july & its super lemony & yellow, but if you start now you’ll defo have time.

• Elizabeth

I love the Limoncello idea. That is definitely on my homemade booze list. .

• Hayley

I need to try this! It looks delicious, thanks for posting it! x

• Siobhan

I want to try this – what would you mix it with?

• Elizabeth

I am a vodka and lemonade girl, through and through. It is quite a sweet combination so you might only want one at a time. It’s almost like those american cream sodas.
      Next I might experiment with ginger beer and a squeeze of lime – the spice and sour might off-set the sweetness more.
      x

• Dancing Branflake

I don’t drink alcohol but I find this completely amazing that the candy just dissolves. Crazy!

• Vicky

Oh wow! This sounds delicious! Looks a little… dodgey but great idea hah!

• Lori Smith

Wow, that’s so simple! I’m going to try making some of this for the weekend 🙂

• Sian

Siobhan asks a good question – what do you mix it with?

• Elizabeth

It’s nice a single shot on it’s own. But I nearly always mix my vodka with lemonade, it’s super-sweet but yummy.
      x

• Sian

Or apple juice. Making some sort of toffee apple martini concoction.

• Elizabeth

That would be a perfect Halloween cocktail – a toffee apple martini!

• Rochelle

Oh my word. This looks/sounds AMAZING. I need to make this. How long does it take to dissolve? I’d love this for christmas. 🙂

• Elizabeth

It was fully dissolved after 2 days. I just keep giving it a shake to get the sugar mixed in well.

• Rochelle

Thanks for the tip 😉 Enjoy your day. 🙂

• jazzabelle

oh wow, this is amazing! i’ve never seen anything like this before, i’ll definitely be trying it out. thanks for sharing! xx

• Clare

I did this the other year as well as Christmas Pudding Vodka. Well lets just say that when the bottles were opened there was not much left by the end of the evening.

• Zoë {Conversation Pieces}

Ooooh! So going to have to try this at some point! Fab 🙂

• Jessie

I love this idea! Definitely gonna make some DIY Vodka!!
    Never even thought of it before and the shop bought ones are too artificial tasting.xx

• Kilm

How long does it keep for, I’d love to make some for Christmas pressies but not sure I’ll have the time a few days before the 25th Dec?

• Elizabeth

I should think it keeps for a while. You just need to give it a shake as there may be some settled toffee. I’ve had mine for 2 weeks and it still tastes the same.

• Mark

Foxes Glacier Mints mixed in the same way as he Werther’s then chilled makes a really refreshing after dinner tipple. Or even before or instead of dinner!!

• Elizabeth

thanks, that’s an excellent idea!

• Edward

i made it but mine has a scummy/foamy layer on top, does this make any difference to the taste as i quite simply cannot be bothered to filter it 😛

• Elizabeth

I had the foamy layer too. It’s entirely up to you. I just used to shake the bottle before serving and it was fine.

• Edward

thank you! 😀 do you have any idea how long it lasts before it starts losing taste and colour etc, im kinda new to all this 😛

• Sue

Oh thank you, I was looking for this answer as our is like that too. We weren’t sure if it was because we used low fat sweets!

• Louise

My cousin made this it is amazing!

• Wendy

To those wondering what to serve it with – try hot chocolate on a wintery day!! Trust me – it’s amazing & just perfect for after a day spent sledging & snowball fighting!!!

• Kay

We had toffee vodka in Tenerife served ice cold in a shot glass after our meal – amazing. I am going to try this as can’t buy anything similar here.

• Olivia

Made this yesterday – I was worried about I being done by Friday so smashed up the sweets, and it was fully dissolved within about 18 hours! Thanks for the recipe 🙂

• Kaz

If you put it in the dishwasher it melts quicker. I made some tonight to give as presents tomorrow !

• Pingback: Vintage Tips, Tutorials and Links Round-Up | Penny Dreadful Vintage
  • Annabel

I’ve made this, but when I’ve left it in the fridge it has separated. Just wondering whether anyone know what’s to do? I.e do I need to strain it?

• Elizabeth Sellers

Yep, that does happen. I just give it a good shake before serving.

• Eleni {The Foodie Corner}

Hi! Loving the look of this. How many sweets in the bag? We only have the small tube-like packets here in Greece. Number of sweets or weight of bag would help! Thanks!

• Simon

After it has been made, put it in the freezer for 24hrs then drink straight from the freezer!

• Harold Bowden

What size bag of Werthers?

• Elizabeth Sellers

I think the standard size bag is about 135g.

• Graeme Kitching

Add toffee vodka to champagne or prosecco, it’s a gorgeous combination.

• Aly

I bet this would be fabulous in a White Russian!

• Nicola

How far in advance can I make it? Will it ‘go off’?

• Kaz

If you make sure the bottles are clean then store it in the freezer it should last quite a while . Some say only a week but I’ve kept it longer. Give it a good shake b4 serving as it can separate a bit.

• Emily

Hey,

If your using an 8oz jar should you still use a whole bag of sweets?

Thanks

Emily

• Kaz

The more sweets you use the stronger the flavour . I use a lot more than others recommend because it makes it thicker and tastes so moreish .

• Kaz

Hi I make my toffee vodka in the dishwasher. Make sure the bottle lid is on tight (you could use cling film around it to be safe.) It gets to just the right temperature to melt the werther’s so no need to spend days agitating and waiting for them to melt. I have just made a batch for Xmas presents for tomorrow and to save time I used my nutri bullet to pulverize the sweets in the vodka first then poured it back into the vodka bottle and then into the dishwasher. I also got a bit of scrum on top but not worried as all tastes great. It’s really best stored in the freezer and served ice cold in a shot glass or over ice, again a shot size. I use 2-3 bags of werther’s to a medium bottle of vodka because it makes it thicker and really taste yummy. You can use other things like skittles or even after eight mints or any boiled sweets ie rhubarb and custard or aniseed . Some come out a yukky colour but they still taste REALLY nice.

• Rebecca

Hi are these quantities for 1litre of vodka?

• Paul Andrews

I smashed the toffees with a hammer. The Vodka was totally infused in 6 hrs and tasted great. Just needs a little freezer time for perfection.